By Fiona Hollis
Simply put – The cloud is a metaphor.
Imagine all of your music, video, office files – hovering in the ether accessible from any internet connected device.
It is a very simple and easy way to access your computer files using any device with an internet connection and provides ultimate accessibility wherever you are.
Are you Already Using the Cloud?
If you have an online email account like AOL, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc you are already using an online server to access and store your data – You are already cloud computing!
Anything that can access the internet and has a web browser:
- Smart phones
Why Use the Cloud?
- Cloud computing allows you access your data from anywhere
- Frees up space on your PC, tablets and phones
- Reduces the need to carry hardware around with you
After all – life’s too short for complicated…
Things To Be Aware Of
Make sure your passwords are strong and you do not leave yourself logged in on any public computers. Your files are as safe as you make them.
Get Cloud Computing
- Dropbox – store files online and access from your phone, laptop, pc from anywhere in the world.
- Web based email – Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail
- Google Docs – allows you to edit and share documents online, part of Google’s tools
- WindowsLiveSkydrive – designed to edit and view Microsoft office files online
- Picasa – allows you to store your photographs online, part of Google’s tools
- Amazon’s Cloud Drive – offers 5 Gigabytes of free storage & web interface
No Question is Silly – Ask Away
If you have any more detailed questions about how to use cloud computing please feel free to ask us questions on our Facebook page.